Welcome to Day 2 of the Born to be Wild blog Hop hosted by Carol at Just Let Me Quilt. For this hop I stepped out of my comfort zone and did some fmq on my domestic and sewed Y seams, “oh yes I did”. A great big thank you to Carol for all the work she does to create and organize the multiple hops throughout the year. She truly has built a very nice community for us to share and be inspired by one another.
“Had a fall so if you leave a comment I’ll respond as soon as I am able. Know I’m also looking at what you shared in the hop, it just takes too darned long to type one handed.”
Basket of Lilies pillow sham
AccuQuilt sent me the new Basket of Lilies die they released the first of this month and I wanted to play with it a little even though I had planned on dinosaurs for the hop. At the moment time doesn’t allow for a large quilt so I decided to make a pillow sham. Here’s the die, without it I never would have attempted to cut all these pieces by hand even for a single 12″ block. If you have any interest at all in the die there is a limited supply.
Y seams are not my favorite and I must admit the patches got a little mixed up and I may have started over a time or two or ten. Either way I still do not like Y seams and there was more cutting and sewing after these were thrown aside. The fabric is from my Island Batik scraps.
The next set of patches I decided to carefully lay out as they were removed from the die, (before I started stitching again) and that was the ideal thing to do.
The stems are fusible and I ran a straight stitch along their seems and decided to go ahead and fmq at this point, I really need the practice. Lilies are my favorite flower and this will be admired while waiting for the real thing to bloom.
The die gets an A+ even though I struggled in the beginning, it’s not the dies fault. There is a bed sized quilt in its future. When I say struggled…well, I worked on it 2 nights in a row and a day. The first night I was so frustrated after sewing the partial blocks a couple photos up. The second night I messed around for 10 min or less and threw up my hands and turned everything off. Saturday I started the day fresh and was able to complete it right after dinner. Slow and steady. Now that I know what I was doing wrong the mistakes will not be repeated.
I really wanted to add a zipper but since I didn’t have one on hand this was stuffed with Hobbs Poly Down Fiber Fill I purchased from Fat Quarter Shop. Then I finished it off with 1 1/2″ single fold binding cut with a strip die also from AccuQuilt.
Blog Hop Schedule and links
Be sure to visit the other participating blogs below.