This months Island Batik Challenge is to feature the Deb Tucker’s Studio 180 Design I received in box 2. It made me a little nervous because I am not one to follow directions or big on cutting fabric. It wasn’t bad at all though.
The tool I received is the Tucker Trimmer I as well as the Quilters Magic Wand. With this you can create 7 different units (sections within a larger block), 3 being basic units, the HST, QST and Combination Unit. Lately I’ve gotten pretty proficient at the HST and QST so I decided to make a quilt with the Combo Unit.
From Deb Tucker Studio website:
- Ruler size: 7” x 7”
- Eleven unit size options from 1” finished to 6” finished in half inch increments (trim sizes 1½” to 6½”)
- Step by step illustrated instructions for making half square triangle, hourglass, and combination units. Now available to download!
- Instructions and illustrations for left hand trimming
- Charts for easy conversion of other pattern instructions
- Free online videos for unit construction and tool trim down (see below, also on YouTube)
- Free bonus block pattern
- Numerous companion patterns available
The guidelines for this challenger were to make any size project and must use at least 16 units, made with a Studio 180 Design tool.
The guide that comes with the tool provides directions for making all three basic units and includes 8 blocks that can be made using them. As I said though, I wanted to make a quilt using just the Combo Unit. So I pulled some larger scraps to test my ability.
The Quilters Magic Wand makes marking your 1/4″ stitch lines simple.
Stitch and cut lines drawn.
I pressed seams open for this half to avoid excess bulk.
My finished block and more confident.
The fabric I chose to use is Island Batik Smooch – designed by Kathy Engle. Dark and light coordinating fabric with the 10″ squares.
I even played with the monochrome feature on my cell phone.
Chose light, medium and dark squares.
With the help of Steve, one of my sisters and Maryellen from Mary Macks Blog, who all liked the bottom layout best it was decided.
120 units in all.
Next I added 2″ finished strips for the border that I cut using the AccuQuilt 2″ strip die, I also love it for cutting my binding.
I hope someone I know has a baby girl soon.
For batting I used this, Hobbs Tuscany Silk Blend which adds a little more loft that I am used to. It quilted up well with no issues and I didn’t have to play with tension which is always good.