All products featured in this post were given to me by Island Batik to fulfill my role as an Island Batik Ambassador.
Today I am sharing my October “Thread Painting with Aurifil” finish. Life has been crazy and the flowers have brought a little sunshine into my life. After last years Aurifil Challenge I’ve realized how much I actually enjoy thread painting and the more I do the easier it is. My thread painting skills haven’t reached the perfection level I would prefer but it’s getting there. Do you have any suggestions to help me along?
Last month you got a glimpse of the stunning new collection Sunset Plumes designed by Kathy Engle and since it was just a glimpse I decided to use it for October as well. As you can see the collection is perfect for floral applique. If you guessed the background fabric is Rice you would be correct, I LOVE Rice. It reminds me of the sky with scattered clouds with hints of blue peaking out.
Here I am painting the vines.
This could be a wall hanging or lap quilt because it finishes at roughly 45″ square. I made the blocks large enough to allow for shrinkage and squaring up after all the stitching was complete. Because I used a heavier weight stabilizer than last year there wasn’t as much gathering around the stitches therefor no need to square my blocks but now I wish I had done some trimming to center the design. Wouldn’t each square be a beautiful throw pillow?
Here it is fresh off the frame, Enzo hadn’t caught up with me yet. Or maybe he didn’t realize immediately I was going to take photos, either way he claimed it, Enzo approved.
I spun the quilt around and stood with the window to my back hoping to show the quilting a little better.
And here it is glowing with the sun filtering through the trees and the evening sky playing with the fabric colors.
The old truck always brings a smile to my face and I like to think it’s smiling in this photo.
The beautiful collection of 50wt Aurifil thread to match my garden. I chose thread colors closest to the flowers and ran a straight stitch around everything. The vines and details in the leaves were done using the 2 shades of green. First I stitched the vines in the darker shade then went back over them with the light green and added the detail to the leaves. Sometimes I’m still a little jerky which tells me I have a lot more practicing to do. Not in the photo is the Aurifil thread for longarms that I used to quilt the top, yellow cone.
This finish, I cannot express the joy it has brought me. So feminine and delicate. This challenge was my favorite so far this year. Thank you to Island Batik and Aurifil for supplying the inspiration.